For all you low-carb eaters out there, this one is for you! I have been making this exceptionally tasty Cauliflower Sausage Casserole for nearly two years. I am so excited to share this recipe with you!!
When I started doing Atkins a few years ago, I wanted to find a dish that could substitute my love for potatoes, without all the carbs.
Cooked cauliflower is an excellent alternative because it has that mashed potato texture. So I started googling what pairs well with cauliflower and found a mock hash brown casserole recipe. I started experimenting with the ingredients and making modifications. After trial and error many times over, I can say now that I’m fully satisfied. The flavor and that hint of heat make it one of my favorite dinners to make!
I was so hungry that I only remembered to snap a picture after it was taken out of the oven. Take a look at that gooey cheese!
In our house, we like to spice it up by adding a tablespoon of crushed red pepper. It gives it that little kick. I practically add red pepper to everything these days. Needless to say, we like our heat. However it will still taste great without it.
When you dish up this casserole, it will look runny, due to the water that gets released from the water content of the cauliflower. There is no getting around that. Simply scoop the casserole with a holed spoon to drain the excess.
If you LOVE Low-Carb Meals, check out these Recipes!
- Low Carb Crockpot Chili
- Mini BBQ Meatloaf
- Sheet Pan Chicken Teriyaki with Veggies
- Baked Crab Legs with Spicy Garlic Butter Sauce
- Slow Cooker Carolina Pulled Pork
- Antipasto Pinwheel Salad
- Healthy Strawberry Chicken Salad
- Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Low Carb Beef Stew
|6 servings||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|45 minutes per batch||1 hr 5m minutes|
A mouthwatering favorite that everyone in the family will enjoy. It's easy to make and only 6 net carbs!
- 1.5 lbs ground pork sausage (like Jimmy Dean) sage or regular
- 2 lbs bag of cauliflower florets
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp onion powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, sharp
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- garnish of fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish lightly.
- Roughly chop the head of cauliflower or 2 lb bag of cauliflower (recommended) into smaller bite-size pieces. Add and even out into casserole dish.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet under medium to high heat. Drain grease.
- Whisk together the cream of chicken soup, water, heavy whipping cream, onion powder, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add an even layer of sausage on top of the chopped cauliflower. Then pour the soup mixture on top of the sausage. Spread evenly with a spatula. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with sharp shredded cheddar cheese. Return to oven 5 more minutes to melt the cheese, then serve.
So flavorful and satisfying!!
How many carbs per serving?
Hi Deb, each serving is 6 net carbs.
This looks great! I can’t find the nutritional info. Can you please tell me how many calories and fat grams per serving?
It’s one of my favorite recipes!! Per serving; calories: 265 Net Carbs: 6 Carbs
Thinking about using frozen cauliflower rice instead of florets. Have you used that or see any reason not to?
Whar is rhe serving size?
There are 6 servings in the casserole if you divide it up into 6 squares.
Meagan A Zesty Bite says
We had this for dinner tonight and the whole family loved it. I made it without the red pepper flakes to remove the heat.
Hi Meagan – So glad your family loved it! It makes for great leftovers too 🙂
Emily Crooks says
Can you tell me the nutritional info please?
Had this for dinner tonight and it was awesome! My husband even liked it and he hates cauliflower.
Pam Byrd says
I made this tonight. It was DELICIOUS!! I followed recipe, with the exception of adding baby spinach. Definitely keeping this in the dinner rotation!! Thank you for sharing your recipe.