I’ve been on a low carb kick lately, and with the California weather cooling down, it was time for a hearty beef stew – hold the potatoes!
This recipe was one of the most flavorful beef stews I’ve ever made. It was a trial and error process. I initially added bacon, but quickly realized it was pointless because you can’t taste it. Thus, my beloved bacon has been omitted from this recipe. With so many flavors simmering together, the spices make this stew pretty awesome!
The slow cooker is my best friend. You mix it and forget it – for 6-8 hours on low. Who doesn’t love that? The only downfall of this cooking method is having to hold back the impulse to sneak a quick bowl before dinner time. Since I work from home, this can be very challenging.
Beef Stew makes for delicious leftovers. The ingredients marinate with the beef overnight in the fridge. When the stew is heated up again it becomes even more tasty. My husband raved about the smell it gave off as he heated it up in his office kitchen. I had to heat my share of leftovers up at 10 am. I couldn’t wait, I was hungry for it.
If you are looking for a low carb soup without losing flavor, then try this stew and let me know what you think!
|10 servings||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|6-8 hours||8 hours|
A hearty, low carb beef stew with a variety of flavors and spices that is easy to make and humbly satisfies a hungry crowd.!
- 2 lbs beef stew chunks
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth, low sodium
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, juice drained
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 oz sliced white mushrooms optional
- 1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 10 mini carrots, chopped (or 1 large carrot)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tbs worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- garnish fresh parsley, optional
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Set slow cooker to low setting.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sear the beef in olive oil, continuously browning on all sides for a few minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add beef broth, diced tomatoes, green bell pepper, mushrooms, celery, carrot, onion, garlic, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, crushed red pepper and paprika.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
Do not use the crushed red pepper, much too spicy.