First, this famous tasty old-fashioned coffee cake was inspired by the Los Angeles Unified School District system. I remember lining up for breakfast and looking forward to having one of those delicious squares. You can choose a casserole of your liking, but you can see the one I used in the first and second images below (11 1/2” X 7 1/2″ X 2 1/2″).
Secondly, the nostalgia of a flavorful tasty old-fashioned coffee cake is one I remember of my childhood. For this recipe I added an extra egg in so that you can taste the richness and moistness a bit more. If you attended the public schools in Los Angeles, you most likely enjoyed this treat in the early morning or during nutrition. I hope that you too get excited about the perfectly balanced crumble and fluff. Just look at those pictures! You can see how fresh and tasty it looks. You can enjoy this with coffee, tea, or whichever beverage you prefer warm or cold.
Lastly, it has been years since I’ve tasted this delicious breakfast treat before I decided to make it! It sure smelled and tasted like I remembered. You can make it for breakfast or a dessert. This is a recipe you want to enjoy with your family and friends! I’ve made it about three times this month, with and without the topping. Enjoy baking, modifying the recipe, and having fun with this treat! Share this recipe with all your coffee cake lovers!
Tasty Old Fashioned Coffee Cake Ingredients
How to make this tasty old fashioned coffee cake, you will need these ingredients:
- 2 and 3/4 Cups of Flour
- 1 Cup of Brown Sugar Packed
- 1/2 a cup and 1 Tablespoon of Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 3/4 Cup of Vegetable Oil
- 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup of Buttermilk
Want more delicious desserts?
- 20 Genius Valentine’s Day Desserts
- Unbelievably Moist Banana Bread (#1 MOST POPULAR recipe with 2 Million Pageviews!!!)
- Hawaiian Pineapple Nut Banana Bread
- Mini Banana Bread Bottomed Cheesecake
- Smore’s Krispie Treats
|12 squares||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||Passive Time|
|30 minutes||15 minutes|
This famous tasty old fashioned coffee cake was inspired from the Los Angeles Unified District school system. You will enjoy this flavorful treat!
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tspn granulated sugar
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tspn nutmeg
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- 1 tspn baking soda
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 2 large size eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk,
- Preheat oven to 350F to 375F.
- Line a greased 9x13 glass casserole dish with parchment paper.
- Combine first six ingredients. Mix until crumbly and reserve 1/2 Cup of this for the topping.
- Combine the last five ingredients and add to the first mixture of dry ingredients.
- Blend all together and careful not to over-mix. A thick consistency is desired.
- Pour the batter into the glass baking dish and smooth evenly.
- Sprinkle the dry mixture that was reserved completely over the entire batter.
- Bake at 350F to 375F for 25 to 30min. Cool for 15 to 20mins.
Leave a Reply